oulet in old home

Old 04-05-00, 11:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I bought a house that was built in the 20's and probably about 15 years ago the owners upgrading the electrical with a new breaker. The problem is they didn't upgrade one room. This room is so odd that they ran a powerstrip right from a light.The other outlet is not grounded.I need to be able to plug my computer in here.What is the easiest I can do this and if I pay an electrician about how much do you think it will run me? I have a tiny crawl space under the house.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-00, 03:11 PM
Visiting Guest
hello aah,
there is no easy way to rewire a room with a crawl space. if by chance there is an outlet on a wall with another behind it then u can just pull some wire between the recepts and wirenut the existing 1's together or if its a dead end just cap them off. if there is no existing back to back outlets then u can make 1 by cutting in a box and pulling wire between the recepts. as to how much this would cost to update by electrician i cant say this depends on area u live in and amount of work invaalved.

Old 04-05-00, 03:26 PM
Visiting Guest
I live in San Diego CA. Probably a place that charges a lot. But are we talking hundreds? Is it okay to run my computer off the outlet for now using a power strip until I can do the repair? Thank you very much

Old 04-05-00, 08:31 PM
Visiting Guest
The house I live in is not quite as old, but it is not grounded. The computer power manager that I use always shows a "wiring fault" because it has no ground.

Without a ground you have no surge protection. My landlord won't pay to have it done right, so I choose to live with it.

I run my computer off of it anyways.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net