insulation over wires

Old 06-20-02, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
insulation over wires

I noticed all of the wire in this old house I am doing was covered with the blown insulation. It does get very hot in the attic where I am running the new wire ( #10 and #12 romex ). Should it be covered? Does it matter?

This guestion also applies to the old metal boxes for the lights.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-02, 06:48 AM
J
If the light fixtures are rated IC, then they can be covered by insulation. All modern wire can be safely covered by insulation. Old knob and tube wiring cannot.

Old 06-21-02, 05:27 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
JOhn is right knob and tube wiring is not allowed to be covered in attics or walls with insulation.

The light boxes you are talking about if they are just boxes and your light fixtures are surface mounted the boxes may be insulated over. If these light fixtures are recessed light fixtures only IC rated recessed light fixtures are allowed in contact with insulation. If you have recessed light fixtures that are not IC rated then you must build a heat chimney around the recessed light fixtures keeping these recessed light fixtures not in contact with anything and the chimney is required to allow the heat to dissapate into the attic from those recessed light fixtures.

I question what are you using the 10 awg cables for. Are you planning to connect this 10 awg cable to a receptacle or switch for general use? This would not be allowed. You would have to protect a 10 awg conductor used for general lighting with a 20 amp breaker and install 12 awg pigtails between the 10 awg conductors and any switch or recpetacle.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 06-22-02, 05:15 AM
I question what are you using the 10 awg cables for

The #10 wire is for the AC ,water heater, and the dryer circuits. Sorry Wg, didn't mean to mislead you on that.