Gap from plate to wall w/ old work box

Old 06-21-02, 07:56 AM
Zathrus
Visiting Guest
Gap from plate to wall w/ old work box

Refinishing a pseudo-finished basement and using lots of old work boxes (the ones where you cut the drywall and it attaches with flaps). They work fine in most cases, but one light switch has resulted in a rather large gap between the finishing plate and the wall - about 1/4". This is somewhat unsightly and, worse, you can see the box beneath the plate.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? All I can think of is caulking the edges of the box and drywalll with latex caulk and painting it to hide the issue.

The plate isn't a standard wall plate - it's completely flat (it's actually something we picked up on our honeymoon), so there are no curved edges to hide the box.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-02, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I know the problem. You usually have to scrape or grind out a couple of pockets on the back of the plate in strategic spots so that the plate will lie flat. How you do this depends on what the plate is made out of.

Old 06-21-02, 06:32 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Check your ears on the remodle box. Sometimes the ear gets bent or out of adjustment holding the plate away from the wall.

Also you could install the foam rubber sealing gaskets between the plate and the wall surface taking up the gap.

Also you could do as John suggested and take a belt sander to the back or your plate that may allow your plate to mount to the wall.

Also you could buy a midi plate that may allow that larger plate to mount to the wall.

Just some ideas.

Wg

Old 06-21-02, 10:11 PM
MTgets
Visiting Guest
Zathrus,
Are you sure you are using the shallowest remodel box available?
I dont know the exact dimensions but I know there is a single gang box that is about 1" deep and if all you have is a switch loop[(2 wires)] it is able to handle the box fill legally, pain in the but to work with though. why cant you get the box to go deeper?
Is there masonary behind the drywall on furring strips?? could you grind the block out 1/4 inch? Or if the drywall isnt painted and mudded yet take it off and shim it out?

Just ideas thrown around.

Let us know how you solved it. thanks