Circuit Breaker Tripping... BIZARRE

Old 04-09-00, 07:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi EXPERTS!

This is the greatest forum on the net... but I think I'll have you stumped on this one. On my breaker panel I have a GFI circuit breaker... it has a red test button on it. At any rate, when I switch on my under counter low-voltage lighting that circuit pops. The really bizarre thing is that the low-voltage lights are not on that breaker and continue to work!!! Even worse.... it only happens about 75% percent of the time. It also appears that something that is on the popping circuit breaker has to be ON in order for it to trip. I talked to a friend about this and he said it was Impossible. But I soon proved to him that it indeed was possible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. I truly appreciate your words of wisdom.

paul

Old 04-10-00, 06:11 AM
Visiting Guest
From what you described, I would guess that the lighting circuit is sharing it's neutral with the GFCI circuit, or at some point the two neutrals are connected together.

Old 04-10-00, 07:39 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Paul,
i have to agree with lefty sounds like a shaired nutural problem. if the lights r on a red wire and gfi on black, or vice cersa trace them back in panel and ill bet u find they shair the nutural.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: