Humming Light Fixture

Old 06-21-02, 10:27 AM
Humming Light Fixture

My metal flourescent recessed ceiling light (holds four 4' bulbs) hums constantly. I installed brand new bulbs. What must I do to eliminate the humming?

If it means replacing the ballast, am I looking at a simple procedure? Any other helpful hints?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-02, 11:24 AM
Yes, it is likely the ballast that is humming. There are several things you can try, but it might be that none will work.
  • Make sure all the screws everywhere on the fixture are tight, especially the ones holding the ballast to the fixture.
  • Make sure the fixture is well connected to the grounding wire, if you have one.
  • If that fails, you can buy a new ballast. Look at the sound rating on the ballast and be sure to buy an "A" rated one. An electronic ballast would probably be even quieter. Replacing the ballast is easy if you buy the right one and have a good attention to detail to notice how the old one is connected before you remove it.
  • You might find it easier and cheaper to simply replace the fixture. However, look at the ballast in the fixture you are buying to see what its sound rating is. A good ballast is not likely to come with a cheap fixture.
  • Despite your best efforts, you will still get some humming, especially if this is installed in a very quiet room where you can easily notice. If it's still a problem, replace the fixture with an incandescent one.