Earthing Stainless Steel Sinks

Old 04-13-00, 04:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have just had two undermounted stainless steel sinks fitted in my kitchen. These have been fixed to the underside of my granite worktops with some kind of glue. The sinks have no "tab" to connect an earthing wire to and the people fitting my kitchen say that a suitable tab cannot be soldered on to the bottom of the sinks as this will discolour them and glue cannot be used as this will insulate the wire. Has anyone got any idea how I can earth these sinks?

Old 04-13-00, 10:44 AM
Visiting Guest
"bonding" a sink is not required by the National Electrical Code. However, if you are concerned about contact with a live circuit, the sink is most likely bonded through the water pipes which are required to be bonded to the electrical service. This is true only if you are not using plastic water lines for hot & cold water. Also, if you have a garbage disposal this is bonded through the grounding conductor in the cord.

Old 04-13-00, 04:12 PM
Visiting Guest
hello nfrancey,
i have no idea why you would want to ground (earth as you call it)your kitchen sink. the only way i know of to do something like this would be to place a ground clamp for pipe on the sink tail piece which would have to be metal for this to work. nother way would be to use 2 lugs bolted together 1 would have to be an open lug and attach to a lip on the sink. if your plumber used copper water lines then it already is grounded threw the pipes.

Old 04-13-00, 05:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Just to give you a viewpoint from the opposite view. If, for example you are using plastic and/or pvc pipe and your sink is sitting in granite it is completely isolated from any electrical current. The only way you could electrify your sink is to place a hot current directly on it.
To put it another way, it is totally suspended between non-conducting elements.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: