Garage Door Opener Wiring

Old 06-22-02, 09:19 AM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
Garage Door Opener Wiring

I have an old Sears garage door opener that pulls 6.8 amps. The cord is about 3-4' short of the receptacle. Can an extension cord be used in the application? What are the size and length limitations?

Old 06-22-02, 10:04 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm sure that some place in the installation instructions is the warning: "Do not use an extension cord?".

I think the best thing to do is to install a new receptacle closer to the opener, and get power from the existing receptacle. This job should be very trivial.

If this is infeasible (and it can't be), then I'd say you could use an extension cord if you can find one. Use the shortest and heaviest extension cord you can find. Home Depot sells a 6-foot 14/3 extension cord for about $8 that should do the trick.

Old 06-22-02, 11:14 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
As far as I know the length limit of that door opener cord would be 6'. The cord could be replaced with a 6' cord that may allow it to reach that receptacle. Either way should be fine.

Wg

Old 06-22-02, 02:43 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
So it seems an extension cord, no matter how short, isn't the best alternative. I will have to measure the existing cord and see if I could just replace it with a 6 footer. The receptacle is mounted on the ceiling inbetween the two openers. It is a surface mount box, so I don't think it would be too much trouble to branch out to two new receptacles. I will probably just go that route, if I can't replace the cord with a longer one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: