new dimmer switch on ceiling fan causes fan buzz

Old 04-18-00, 12:01 PM
Visiting Guest
I just replaced a standard wall switch with a rotating dimmer knob. The switch controls a ceiling fan. The new switch controls the lights just fine, but when I turn on the ceiling fan from the pull chain, there is an electrical buzz, as if the fan is not getting enough juice, even though I have the dimmer dialed up to full power.
Is the problem one of the dimmer switch being unable to deliver FULL power to the fan, even when turned all the way up? If so, are there any dimmer switches that would work better?
Thanks for any tips in advance,
Dominic

Old 04-18-00, 05:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Dominic,

If the pull chain on the fan also controls speed, which all currently manufactured have, then you CANNOT put a speed control on the wall switch location. You are creating a reaction between the two rheostats thus the hum.
If your desire is to control the lights then you will either need to put a constant hot circuit at the fan box for the fan or put another swithch leg to control each separately.
There is another possibility, that is, you can purchase fans today that have a romote control. All you need at the fan is a hot circuit for both light and fan, and the romote controls each separately, including the dimming and speed of each respectively.
But doing this may not be possible unless you can return what you have.

Old 04-18-00, 06:33 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Dominic,
looks as though david sumed it all up.

Old 04-19-00, 11:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Thanks for the reply David. The constant hot circuit for the fan control seems to be the best option. I fear that running two switches to the wall would be a wiring nightmare. How would I make the fan a constant hot?

Old 04-19-00, 05:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Well, there are three options.
One, find a close circuit junction box, an attic light box where you might have a hot circcit and run a wire to the fan box. Please not that doing it this way, means you can have the potential of a 220 circuit between the hot and the current switch leg.
Or, you can drop a new wire down the wall t the existing switch and run it back to the fan.
Third, the cheap and easy way, but not it hss some less than desireable side effects.
Just tie the leads on the current switch together, put the switch back in the wall (it in now a dummy) and control your fan and light with the pull chains on each.
Worse side effect, you need to walk entirely into the room to turn light on. You lose a little convenience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: