Tapping into pwr line, not sure of conn.

Old 04-19-00, 12:48 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm installing a heater/vent unit in the bathroom, with a seperate switch for each. I have an existing supply line going to a light and fan in the attic. (a seperate breaker operates just these) I want to tap off this line and bring it to a new box.

My question is, do I have to run this line to the switchs 1st and then to the heater/vent (so I end up w/2 prs. wires at the switch or can I just go from the new box, to the h/v, to the switchs.

Thanks In Advance

Old 04-19-00, 05:08 PM
Visiting Guest
The only good way is to run a line 12/2 or 14/2 (whatever the source circuit is)from the source box to your switch box first. Then run a 3/wire to the fan/light combo.
If you do it the other way, you won't have enough room to make all the connections, especially if it is 12/2 in the fan. They give you just enough to tie in their leads and that is it.
That 3/wire will consist of one (white) neutral, one (black) switch lead for light, and one (red) switch lead for fan. A gound wire will attach to the green screw in the fan junction area.
(another reason to do it this way - you should never make a piece of equipment a junction box for through circuits)

Old 04-19-00, 09:34 PM
Visiting Guest
hello mpk,
i agree with david on this

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: