wet circuit breaker wires

Old 04-20-00, 11:15 AM
Visiting Guest
help - have wet circuit breaker wires.

Old 04-20-00, 02:38 PM
Visiting Guest
From my experience if you have wet wires, your have three possible sources. I don't know the physical situation, climate wise, geographic location, but.....
You have a serious leak near and above the panel that water is following conduit or wires on the outside surface.
The second way is internally. If you have conduit and have pipes on a hot roof, attic or any hot location and the air can move to low temperatures, thus causing condensation in the conduits, it will flow, of course to the panel eventually.
This can also be right in the panel. If you have a heat build-up due to stressed metal, overloaded capacity, loose connection on a large circuit conductor, it will cause condensation inside the panel as well.
The third is also heat related, dealing with the HTW type of wiring. When these get hot, for the same reasons as descriped above, they emit an oily substance, (plastic) that appears wet, but actually is a breakdown of the plastic covering.
In your case you need to determine what is the source and where, then correct.

Old 04-21-00, 04:04 PM
Visiting Guest
hello ekokal,
david covered the 3 most common reasions for water in a panel. i know of another reasion for water, it is much less common then the 3 david listed, and may even sound impossabel, but believe me it isnt. water can under the right cercomstances travel threw the wires under the insulation of your service entrance wires even though there is a drip loop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: