Exhaust fan/Light wiring

Old 06-23-02, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exhaust fan/Light wiring

I bought Exhaust fan/Light from home depot which has wiring instruction for operating fan/Light with two separate switches.
Howerver, I want to have one switch controls both.
I see blue and white wires coming out of light and black and white wires coming out of Fan.
How do I make connections so that both can be operated by one switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-02, 01:46 PM
M
MTgets
Visiting Guest
wirenut the black and the blue to your switch leg, and both whites to the incoming white.

Old 06-23-02, 02:11 PM
Re:

Wow that was a quick reply!
Now I have one more question.
In the bathroom currently there are two separate lights about 4 feet apart connected with one switch. One switch makes two separate lights on.
I was thinking about replacing the 2nd light with Exhaust fan/light.

Option 1:
I want to have one switch control both Exhaust fan/light and existing 1st light. if so then how do I do wiring?
Also, is it too much load on the switch?
or
Option 2:
Should I run separate wiring for Exhaust fan/light so that it can be controlled by it's own switch? Like you mentioned in your earliear reply.

Old 06-23-02, 02:54 PM
J
The easiest option is to have the fan, the new light, and the existing lights, all come on at the same time. All that is required is to run a new cable from either existing light box to the new fixture box. This is not too much for one switch.

If you want a second switch, the easiest is to replace the single switch with a duplex switch. If the existing switch has a white wire attached to it (i.e., a switch loop), you'll need to run two new cables: one from the power source (one of the two existing light boxes -- you need to figure out which one because only one will do) to the new fixture, and one from the new fixture to the switch box. If the existing switch does not have a white wire attached to it, you only need one new cable: from the switch box to the new fixture.

Old 06-23-02, 03:21 PM
Re:

Thanks for your quick reply!
Yes I want to go with option 1.
So to summarize both users suggestions this is what I need to do:
wirenut the black and the blue to the black wire of a new cable I run from 1st light, and both whites to the white wire of a new cable I run from the 1st light.

Let me know if this is wrong.
Thanks again and I will post once I am done with wiring!

Old 06-23-02, 03:27 PM
J
You have correctly described the connections at one end of this new cable. There are still plenty of ways to mess up the connections at the other end. When you open up the box where the first light is connected, if all you see are wires connected to other wires of the same color, then you can do the same. But if you see a black wire connected to a white wire anywhere, then you had better be careful. Without messing up any of the existing connections, connect your new cable exactly where the existing light is connected. Post back if anything you see causes you concern.

Old 06-29-02, 09:37 AM
I am changing my specs little bit. Instead of replacing the second light I want to add exhaust fan in the circuit. Exhaust fan I am going to buy does not have light since I want to keep the two existing lights. I have tried to put that in the attached diagram.
Black and Green color is for exisitng connections and blue is for new one.

Question:
1. Where do I connect the exhast fan wiring? Should I connect with existing Y connection for light A and Light B?
2. Is it Ok to have three things on one circuit?
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.PARESH-ZSMWCEOU\My Documents\exhaust_fan.jpg[/IMG]