Garage service

Old 04-22-00, 06:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I have a 200 amp service in my home.I currently have a no. 10 wire running to my garage off a 30 amp breaker.The garage is about 40ft from my house with a small breaker panel for lights and a few outlets.
I would like to upgrade for more juice to run an arc welder etc.What size wire should I use and do I need a seperate ground rod for the panel in the garage?Also what size breaker should I have in my house panel to feed to the garage?
Old 04-22-00, 01:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

hello DaveK,
what id recomend is u install a 100 amp sub in your garage, this provides room for future if u decide to add more later. this requires a 125amp(to provide enough spaces) lug panel no main breaker, 100 amp 2 pole breaker to fit your main panel, 3-#3 thhn wires(2 hots and a nutural) and a #8(ground), 1 1/4" pvc conduit, and a 1/2" 8'ground rod. DO NOT BOND SUB PANEL NUTURAL BAR TO GROUND BAR(piece of wire between the 2 bars). i allways drive a ground rod on sub panels use the # 8 to ground sub to ground rod as well. mark the #8 with green tape in all areas that r exposed, and mark the #3 nutural with white tape in all areas exposed

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: