1-Jack, 2-Lines (Distinctive Ring) => 1-Jack, 1-Line

Old 04-23-00, 03:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Ok, I've got one phone jack, which has two lines, so the second line has a Distinctive Ring when you call it.

Is there a way to rewire the jack, so that only the 2nd line will ring?

The current wiring is as follows (clockwise from top left screw):

Screw: Wiring Connected:
1 Blue
2 White
3 Black
4 Red, Blue from wall)
5 Green, White/Blue (from wall)
6 Yellow

I'm just hoping that a simple re-wiring job can save me the $50+ I'd have to shell out for a 'Distinctive Ring Selector' device :\

Any help/comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-23-00, 04:23 PM
Visiting Guest
hello gm,

if whin they installed the jack and wireing they followed the phone wireing color code your red and green would be line 1 and blue and white with blue stripe line 2. if you r wanting to remove line 1 then just remove the red and green wires and put other 2 in there place.

Old 04-23-00, 04:37 PM
Visiting Guest
When I remove the Red and the Green wires, the dialtone disappears.

[This message has been edited by GM (edited April 23, 2000).]

Old 04-24-00, 10:42 PM
Visiting Guest
hello gm,
did u place the blue wires where the red and green wires were, if u did and still didnt get a dial tone then u will have to do some searching and determin which colors r line 1 and line 2 easest place to determin is at the terminal block. whin u remove line 1 line 2 needs to be put on line 1 of the jack.

Old 04-25-00, 05:39 AM
Visiting Guest
GM, either you are confusing Distinctive Ring with a second phone line. They are not the same.

A Distictive Ring is not a second line. Its two phone numbers for the [font color="red"]SAME[/font] line. The second number will have a different ring so you can tell which number was called. You can ignore the 'published' number and answer the unpublished number.

You would need a 2-line phone connected to a jack with two active lines for both lines to ring on that phone. If its a single line phone that has two rings, you do not have a second phone line.

Are you paying for two separate phone lines? The charge for a second line is similar to the charge for the primary line.

If you do have Distinctive Ring and not two phone lines, then following sparky's advice will result in no dial tone. Thats because the second line IS NOT ACTIVE.

If you do indeed have two phone lines get a splitter from Radio Shack and hook up a single line phone to whichever line you want. The splitter plugs into the jack and has 3 output jacks. One for line 1, one for line 2, and one for a two-line phone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: