recessed outlests

Old 06-24-02, 07:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy recessed outlests

we removed the plaster walls down to the wooden lath--keeping that intact. we had it drywalled, and now some of the outlets are set too far back in the wall..when you put the plate on the outlet is way in there. we have the problem with the switch also--is there any way to bring the outlet closer to the surface???? help!!!!
Old 06-24-02, 07:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
You need two plastic products to fix this problem. The first by Arlington is a plastic shield to surround the device and extend the box. The second is called a caterpillar which is a green plastic strip with holes that you fold up till it is the right thickness snip off the rest and put behind each screw for the device to tighten against. Home Depot carries both and most wholesale houses either stock or can order them. I think Carlon also has a box extender.
Old 06-25-02, 09:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I agree with Louie. Also, if you go to your local electrical supply a manufacturer called "arlington" makes box extenders. They are white plastic and very easy to use.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: