Out of Order - Simple Wiring

Old 06-24-02, 11:01 AM
F
fsuandy
Visiting Guest
Out of Order - Simple Wiring

My first "big" DIY project appears off to a bad start.

I'm refinishing my basement (about 25 x 35). It does not have outlets and only three or four light fixtures in the ceiling (single bulbs). I need to install several outlets, run a cable for my TV and high speed internet, and I plan to have approximately 15 recessed light fixtures.

Now here's the problem. I've arranged for the framing and dry wall next week, but the electrician I asked to help out can't make it until a week or so after that.

Are there some simple wiring procedures I can undertake while the basement is being framed, that will prevent the electrician from having to rip up a lot of work already done? I'm thinking about two switches (one dimmer, one regular). The breaker box is located in the basement. How many different wires will I need to run? Any code considerations?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-02, 11:21 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lots of wire to be run, and lots of code considerations. Let the framers come, but you have no reasonable choice but to postpone the drywall installation until after the electrician is finished. You will also need to schedule the rough-in inspection before the drywallers. Don't get ahead of yourself -- don't install the drywall until you are quite sure that you are ready for it. You will also want to take care of any HVAC and plumbing work before drywalling and inspections. If you want insulation and/or vapor barriers, do that after the inspection and before the drywall.

Old 06-26-02, 12:10 PM
M
Mink
Visiting Guest
Mr. Nelson gives good advice, but don't forget to add rough-in boxes for telephone, computer, audio/visual, or any other possible future use. Rough-in is the time to do it. I had all the vacuum pipe run in the walls during rough-in for $79. Even though I don't really expect to install the whole house vacuum, maybe the next buyer will appreciate that option.

Old 06-27-02, 04:08 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK - I'm confused

You have me confused. First you say its a DIY project, thenyour post reads as though you are having contractors do the work. Which is it?

Yes, delay the drywall until all wires, HVAC, cable, plumbing, etc is done.

BTW- when I finished my basement several years ago the cable company installed the cable outlet for $35. The materials alone would have cost me $20. The cost was low because there was no drywall up yet.