Electrical

Old 04-26-00, 04:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Needing confirmation, I have a feeder line from a junction box wanting to power a switch for a closet light, then feed a receptacle below the switch in the wall. All I have to do is make a junction in the switch box and take a black leg off the feeder and run it to the light switch then on to the light with the black wire, then return to the switch box using the white and make a connection to all the white wires, as for receptacle take a hot (black) and return (white) directly to it, correct? Thanx in advance for your help in this matter.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-00, 06:29 PM
Visiting Guest
No. You don't have a neutral for the lite. Do this. From the j-box, run a 12/2 to the receptical (black is hot, white is neutral, bare is ground). From the outlet, run a 14/2 to the switch box, (blacks to the brass screws, whites to the silver screws and bares to the ground screw) and another 14/2 from the switch box to the lite. In the switch box, wire nut the bares together, wire nut the whites together, and connect the blacks to each screw of the switch. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by unk:
Needing confirmation, I have a feeder line from a junction box wanting to power a switch for a closet light, then feed a receptacle below the switch in the wall. All I have to do is make a junction in the switch box and take a black leg off the feeder and run it to the light switch then on to the light with the black wire, then return to the switch box using the white and make a connection to all the white wires, as for receptacle take a hot (black) and return (white) directly to it, correct? Thanx in advance for your help in this matter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-26-00, 07:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Thanx lefty, I see now that I left something out of my original msg which did make a difference in how it was read. What I meant by "take a black leg off the feeder" was to actually make a junction of 3 wires in the switch box, 2 12/2's, 1 being the feeder, 2nd for recept and 1 14/2 being the feed for the light from switch) I would break the black (hot) and connect each end to one of the screws on the switch. Either way would work, right? Reason I'm asking is the wire is already run and cut this way. Thanx again for your help

Old 04-28-00, 07:32 PM
Visiting Guest
hello unk,
looks correct to me.

Old 04-29-00, 11:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

thanx lefty & sprky