electrical connection from junction box to new outlet

Old 04-29-00, 02:06 PM
Visiting Guest
I want to make a new plug-in outlet by tapping into the junction box. From the on/off switch to the box are three wires (black, green, white). From the light back to the box are (xblack, xred, xwhite). The connection now are (green,white,xwhite) and (black,xred,xblack). How can I connect new wires for an outlet? I'm trying to do this without using of on/off light switch.

Old 04-29-00, 03:33 PM
Visiting Guest
hello dotstan,
in your post u stated "From the on/off switch to the box are three wires (black, green, white), and "From the light back to the box are (xblack, xred, xwhite)." this indacates to me that there is only switched power in your junction box . you also stated that the connections r "(green,white,xwhite) and (black,xred,xblack), this is telling me that the ground (green) is tied into the nutural(white)and there r 2 switch legs in the light (black and red). this is a verry strainge wireing method u never tie the ground into the nutural only place the ground and nutural r tied together r in the main panel useing a bonding jumper, between the nutural bar and the ground bar. from the colors of wires it also apears that this is installed in conduit. if this is installed in conduit this is an easy fix all u need to do is install a full time hot wire in the conduit and then use this to supply your new outlets, along with the existing nutural.

Old 04-29-00, 09:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Sparky,
I'm not familiar will electrical terms. The wires is not coming from the conduit. I think this is the metal wrapping around the wires. So the new wires (black, white, ground) where does it go for connection? I didn't understand your last statment.
Thank in advance.
stan

Old 04-30-00, 12:44 PM
Visiting Guest
dotstan,

If conduit is not what you have, then more than likely it is bx or mc cable. In either case you won't be able to change the wires.
Your latest post is confusing me. In your orignial description were the so-called new wires part of your description or are they part of the junction box wires? You are also not clear if these bundles are wirenutted with pigtails. If this is a switch box as well you need a switch leg or two wires (leads) that are on the switch.
My interpretation, differ from Sprky, is that you do have power (hot and neutral) in the switch box (junction box). If so, then separate the green from the neutrals, tie the greens together with a pigtail and attach to the box(if metal)or device if there is a screw teminal. If not just wirenut them together.
Then connect your "new wire (white) to the white bundle and the "new" (black) to the bundle feeding the switch power.
If you are confused, give us more information . There are some facts not in evidence here, I think.

Old 05-01-00, 02:08 AM
Visiting Guest
David,
The new wires are not part of the connection I first described. As initially stated that is the connection. IN the box are wire nutted (green,white,xwhite) and the other (black,xred,xblack) nutted together. I just wanted to connect the new wires to the two existing wire nuts.
Maybe you are right; I'll have the make my new connection at the light source. Will that work?
Thanks,
Stan

Old 05-01-00, 08:29 PM
Visiting Guest
hello dotstan,
heres what u need to do. first off remove the green from the whites, then you r going to have to determin where the full time hot is (colored wire that carries electricity all the time). you will have to use a tester to determin where this is, with the power to circuit on and switch off remove the wire nuts and place 1 leg of tester on colored wire and 1 leg on the white wire,useing this set up whin your tester indacates power this will be your full time hot. now once u have located the full time hot turn off the circuit and connect the black of your new wire to the hot and the white to the other whites in the box, and the bare to the other bares or green.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: