Time delay circuit breaker?

Old 05-02-00, 01:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Because the drain pipe for my house runs along my basement ceiling, I have a pump under my laundry sink that pumps all the drain water up to the drain pipe. The problem comes when we run the washer. When the washing machine discharges into the sink and begins to spin, the 15 amp circuit breaker usually trips. I think this is because almost everything is running at once: the electric pump that empties the washer, the electric pump that empties the sink drain, and the electric motor that gets the washer spinning.
I don't remember much about this, but several years ago I read something about a time delay circuit breaker. This device would allow a 15 amp breaker to pass more than 15 amps for a short period before tripping. The purpose of this device (as I recall) is to allow an electric motor to draw a lot of current while first starting up, but to trip if the draw on the circuit doesn't drop down to "normal" levels quickly. Supposedly, passing a lot of current for a short time will not pose a danger to the existing 14-gauge wiring.
Is anyone out there familiar with such a device? If so, would it take care of my washer problem, or do I have to bite the bullet and re-wire the circuit with 12 gauge wire and a 20 amp breaker? Because several sections of the basement are finished, re-wiring the circuit would be an awful lot of work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-02-00, 07:45 PM
Visiting Guest
hello ted,
reasion your breaker is tripping is there is 2 much motor load on the circuit. your washer needs to be on its own 20 amp circuit, as well as the sump pump. what i would do is get a 20 amp tandom breaker for your panel (breaker that allows 2 circuits to be installed in 1 breaker space) and run some 12-3 with ground to the recep. in the panel connect the white to the nutural bar, bare to the ground bar, black to 1 lug of the breaker, and red to other lug of breaker. in the recep connect the red and the black to the gold screws, break the tab between them, connect the white to the silver screw, and bare to the green screw.

Old 05-02-00, 10:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks, sprky. I really wanted to hear that all I had to do is to replace the breaker, but I'm not surprised to be told I have to do it the right way. Now why didn't I add an extra circuit before I finished off that space? This is a great forum. Thanks again.

Old 05-03-00, 02:38 PM
Visiting Guest
If you are going to run a tandem breaker
( both sections running of the same supply leg), you will not want to run a shared neutral, but separate 12/2 runs for each the
pump and washer.

A two pole breaker, where each section
runs off a separate supply leg, will work
beautifully with a shared neutral 12/3 run.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: