New 15amp circuits for 2nd floor

Old 06-27-02, 10:54 AM
M
MJG
Visiting Guest
New 15amp circuits for 2nd floor

I am planning on upgrading and/or adding 3 15amp (general use)and 1 20amp (bathroom) circuits to the 2nd floor of my 50 year old cape. I have run two separate 12/3 wires up the interior walls that I had opened for some main floor remodeling. I plan on using these for the 3 15amp and 1 20amp circuits on the 2nd floor. I will add 3 15amp breakers and 1 20amp breaker to my current box which is no problem. I will junction both 12/3's in the attic space and split two circuits from there sharing the nuetrals and grounds. Is there any problems with this plan?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-02, 11:10 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, it's probably fine. I strongly recommend that you put each pair of breakers that share a neutral one directly above the other in the panel, and that you clearly label them at you panel as sharing a neutral. This will hopefully prevent someone in the future from moving one of these circuits to the same phase as its partner in crime. For the two 15s, I recommend a double-pole breaker.

If any of these outlets will be in a bedroom, there may be a code problem with AFCI. Check with your building department to see exactly what AFCI requirements your city has adopted.

Old 06-27-02, 12:07 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you're running 12/3, why use 15A breakers? If you use two 20A double-pole breakers you will avoid two of the most common problems with shared-neutral circuits: (1) putting both hots on the same phase (2) forgetting to shut off the second phase of the shared neutral circuit when working on the first phase.

(I'm assuming that the wiring all the way to the outlets will be 12 gauge. If there is existing 14 gauge which will be spliced in you will of course need to use 15A breakers on thos circuits.)