How to rewire a 4-way lamp?

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-00, 05:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a child's bedroom lamp that I need to rewire. The socket/switch is long gone, so I have no idea where to put which wire. This lamp has a regular bulb in the socket, and a nightlight bulb in it's own socket on the base of the lamp. When you turn the switch (rotary), the first time turns on the nightlight, second time nightlight is off, main bulb is on, third time both are on, fourth both are off.

I have a three-way, rotary socket/switch. It has two screw positions, one gold, one silver. There is one section of lamp cord that runs from the nightlight to the socket/switch, and then the cord that runs from the socket to the outlet.

Do I even have the right socket/switch? And if so, how do I wire it?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-00, 03:23 PM
Visiting Guest
hello eabenson,
sorry to inform u that the light socket u have bought will not work. a 3way light socket is designed for a buld that uses 3 diferent wattages, there for would not work for what u r trying to do. from the info in your post this would take a special light socket, and i have no idea where you would obtain it. best source of this is a lighting supply house, or an electrical supply house. if u go to eather and explain what u r looking for they will be abel to help u locate 1.

Old 11-17-05, 07:42 AM
Cetispeak
Visiting Guest
Buy socket for 4-way lamp with night-light

I also have one of these lamps and learned that you can purchase a replacement socket at grandbrass.com. Go to their site and search for part no. SOL7070 and you will find several sockets that have different finishes, etc. Good Luck!

Old 08-11-12, 07:22 PM
Thank you who left the info about the light socket sol7070, that's just what I needed. Saved me a lot of searching, Thanks again.

Old 08-11-12, 07:41 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Glad you found what you needed, and thank you for the feedback.

Closed Thread