Switched Outlet

Old 04-28-00, 02:17 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Question

We recently replaced all of the outlets in our bedroom (from beige to white). One outlet was wired to the switch by the door. Now that we changed them the outlet is always "live". What did we do wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-00, 06:26 PM
G
Visiting Guest
At the switched outlet, you failed to remove a very small jumper between the two "hot" screws. That jumper must be removed so each screw, each with a wire, will be independent.
One will be hot all the time, the other will be switched. (Note, you should have two hot leads in the opening.)

Old 04-28-00, 06:35 PM
G
Visiting Guest
hello Lyta,
bet davids right unless u broke the tab on the gold screw it will allways be hot if it was a split wired recep.

Old 05-08-00, 07:30 AM
G
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks, my partner and I fixed it this weekend. Your help was greatly appreciated. Now we have to decide about the track light.

Old 05-09-00, 11:50 AM
G
Visiting Guest
I'm guessing that one half (top or bottom) of the original outlet was switched and the other half was constantly hot. Are there 2 black wire connected to the outlet (one to the top and one to the bottom)? If so, break the buss connector (part of the outlet)on the black wire side off so the 2 halves are electrically seperate. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
We recently replaced all of the outlets in our bedroom (from beige to white). One outlet was wired to the switch by the door. Now that we changed them the outlet is always "live". What did we do wrong?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>