garbage disposal!! help me!!

Old 05-08-00, 06:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

i am trying to install a garbage disposal. I have the wires coming out of the disposal, a black, white and neutral. i have an existing switch on my counter to control the light above and i want to make it into two switches, one to control the light and one to control the disposal. there are three wires coming from the light switch, i need to know how to wire it so i can create a new switch and keep the old one. is there any way to do this?? i have tried pigtailing the wires and i have put them together everyway possible!! i need help!

Old 05-09-00, 10:48 AM
Visiting Guest
First, the wires coming out of the disposal are black (swithed), white (neutral) and bare or green (ground). At the existing switch, you will need two seperate circuits. The disposal has to be on a dedicated circuit, so tying it into a light circuit is not an option. Hopefully there is space in your breaker panel for a new circuit. As far as the switch itself, if this is a single gang box, simply install a stacked double switch in place of the single switch that is there.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Caroline:
i am trying to install a garbage disposal. I have the wires coming out of the disposal, a black, white and neutral. i have an existing switch on my counter to control the light above and i want to make it into two switches, one to control the light and one to control the disposal. there are three wires coming from the light switch, i need to know how to wire it so i can create a new switch and keep the old one. is there any way to do this?? i have tried pigtailing the wires and i have put them together everyway possible!! i need help!<HR>

Old 05-09-00, 07:18 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Caroline,
leftys correct the desposer shuld be on its own circuit.

Old 05-10-00, 03:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

quote:<HR>Originally posted by lefty:
First, the wires coming out of the disposal are black (swithed), white (neutral) and bare or green (ground). At the existing switch, you will need two seperate circuits. The disposal has to be on a dedicated circuit, so tying it into a light circuit is not an option. Hopefully there is space in your breaker panel for a new circuit. As far as the switch itself, if this is a single gang box, simply install a stacked double switch in place of the single switch that is there. <HR>

Is putting in a new curcuit something i should try to do myself or should i hire someone to do this??

Old 05-10-00, 04:26 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Caroline,
if u r confedent you can handel the task i would say yes, be for warned it is no easy task. if u decide u can do this what u need is a 20 amp single pole breaker for your panel and some 12-2 with ground wire and 2 cut in boxes(old work boxes) 1 receptical and 1 single pole switch, 1 romex clamp, 1 switch plate, 1 recep plate, yellow wire nuts.
follow these steps to wire
1. cut hole for switch box
2. cut hole for recep box
3. drill threw bottom wall plate under recep from basement
4. run romex to panel and up threw plate to recep box hole.
5. run romex from switch to recep
6. install switch box
7. strip romex in switch box and connect white and black wires to switch screws and bare to the green screw if present
8. install switch in off position and install cover plate
9. install recep box
10. strip romex in recep box.
11. twist bare wires together (cut 1 shorter to attach to green screw of recep
12. connect white going to switch to black from panel with wirenut
13. connect black from switch to gold screw on recep, white from panel to silver screw and bare to green screw, and install with cover plate
14. Turn off MAIN breaker of panel
15. remove panel cover
16. install 20 amp breaker in off position
17. remove knockout and install romex clamp with romex
18. strip romex and connect black to breaker, white to nutural bar, and bare to ground bar
19. remove knock out for breaker from panel cover and install
20. turn main breaker back on
21. turn 20 amp breaker on
now u r all done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: