Oven trips breaker???

Old 05-15-00, 08:41 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a 7 year old Tappan electric range. When I have the oven on bake or broil it will work for about 3 minutes and then the breaker will trip. The range is the only appliance on the circuit. If I try to reset the breaker it will reset and then trip again immediately after turning the oven back on. I checked the voltage @ the circuit breaker and at the outlet for the range. All readings were 240V. I checked the elements with a ohm meter and both elements returned a reading when the oven was placed in the bake and broil position. The stove top works fine. I checked all connections at the breaker panel and all is well. I also checked all connections on the stove, I checked the cord connection for burning or if it was loose, both are fine. I checked all wires behind the back panel of stove and no signs of burning or discolored contacts. My house is 28 years old. Could the breaker be getting weak and in need of replacement? Could the thermostat in the oven need replacement? This problem just started a few days ago and no changes have been made to the electrical panel.
Thanks for your help in advance...
As a first time user to this web site...
I LOVE IT!!!!

Wayne

Old 05-15-00, 06:25 PM
Visiting Guest
hello wayne,
yes the breaker could be weak and be the cause of your problem, but im thinking its something in the oven itsself causeing your problem. im sending your post over to electrical applinaces for further help they r better equped to help u. look for more info there as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: