Flourescent Lights

Old 05-10-00, 11:07 PM
Visiting Guest
My four foot flourescent light fixture has two problems - The most annoying is that it flickers constantly - The second problem is that sometimes it takes several minutes to light up fully. I have tried changing bulbs, and making sure they are connected. Is this a ballast problem? Can it be fixed or do I need a whole new unit?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-00, 12:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Could be several things. Shut off power. Check socket contacts of tube pins. Spray with electrical cleaner. If problem persists, replace starter if it has starter. If not starter, check ballast connections. If those are o.k., it must be bad ballast. Replace ballast with exact same type (use color coded wires and hook up just like old one). Sometimes it is better to replace fixture than ballast, depending upon age/condition of fixture, cost, etc. Your call. If this doesn't help you, there are pro electricians in here (Sprky, etc.) who can help you (I'm not one), so just come back and ask. Good Luck!

Old 05-11-00, 08:01 PM
Visiting Guest
hello jean,
from the info in your post ill bet u have a bad ballast. more times then not its cheaper to replaice the entire fixture then just the ballast espicelly if its in a shop type light.

Old 05-12-00, 09:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Also, spend a little extra and get a "commercial grade" fixture. They generally have a better ballast and don't flicker as much as the really cheap "shop lights."

Old 05-13-00, 10:51 PM
Visiting Guest
What happens when you run your hand or two fingers the full length of a florescent light tube that then makes it light up? Was it just loose, or something "mystical" going on?

I also have those recessed fixtures in my kitchen and some of the lamps were just loose. Once I turned them to the correct position for the prongs , they worked fine.

Old 05-14-00, 09:23 PM
Visiting Guest
hello juliee,
sounds like a loose connection, eather a lamp or a wire in the socket.

Old 05-16-00, 02:02 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juliee:
What happens when you run your hand or two fingers the full length of a florescent light tube that then makes it light up? Was it just loose, or something "mystical" going on?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure there is a ground connection to the fixture case. Some types of fluorescent lights require that to start properly. Touching the tube sometimes has the effect of letting the light start.