Size of ceiling fan for room size?

Old 06-29-02, 05:30 PM
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Question Size of ceiling fan for room size?

Would someone be able to tell me what size ceiling fan I would need for a room approx 12 x 15 with 10-foot ceiling? I was thinking I would have to buy a 42", but since I already have a smaller one (36") wondered if this size would do. I really need to cool my living room as I can't afford to run the A/C. Thank you.

Old 06-29-02, 06:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
From the Casablanca Web site:
Q. What size fan should I buy?
A. A fan that is too big for your room may look awkward. A fan that is too small probably will not move enough air. Blade span is the key. Here are some basic recommendations:

For rooms up to 225 square feet (15' x 15') and larger, use a fan with a blade span of 50", 52", 54", or 56".
In rooms up to 144 square feet (12' x 12') we recommend fans with blade spans of 42" or 44".
Smaller rooms up to 64 square feet (8' x 8') should use a fan with a 32" blade span.

Old 06-29-02, 06:36 PM
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Large fans (paddles) & electrical part for smaller fan?

My thanks to HandyRon. OK, now I have to either buy a larger fan or just install longer blades on the existing electrical fan motor. Would I be pushing my luck to put longer blades on a motor that came with smaller blades? I think the guy I bought the fan from would exchange the blades, he has no problem doing that. I don't want to have a fire and I live in a place that I consider ill-wired. Thanks again.

Old 06-29-02, 06:47 PM
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Large fans (paddles) & electrical part for smaller fan?

My thanks to HandyRon. OK, now I have to either buy a larger fan or just install longer blades on the existing electrical fan motor. Would I be pushing my luck to put longer blades on a motor that came with smaller blades? I think the guy I bought the fan from would exchange the blades, he has no problem doing that. I don't want to have a fire and I live in a place that I consider ill-wired. Thanks again.

Old 08-18-02, 07:27 PM
Thumbs up Blades

Do NOT change blade length your fan won't work worth a ****
When you buy a new fan MAKE SURE it is the downrod type, the "ceiling hugger" designs only push 1/2 the air a regualr downrod does.

About a month ago I bought a fan on clearance from HD for $20.00, look for the sidewalk sales ...

Old 08-19-02, 09:21 PM
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Thanks for fan info

Hi 54,

Got the info about ceiling fan, blinds and something I've forgotten. I have copies of answers so will be able to reread. I have a ceiling fan I bought for 15 from a little store down the street. All the things may have fallen off the back of a truck, but c'est la vie. The directions do say I can use 4 or 5 blades and there is a down rod. I have very low ceiling, so the rod can't be too long and it isn't. I just have to walk over and see if he will let me exchange four blades for five. I have two light fixtures that I didn't use and perhaps I can make a bargain. Hope so. Let you know later. Or I'll just write for help.

Maureen

Oh, just remembered. Ha Ha. You're right, in five years your house would be paid off and renovated. I think I'll stay here with all of my animals!! Did that make you choke?

Old 08-20-02, 05:42 AM
Wink As long as

They don't tear nothin up
SOME animals are ok, some wreck havoc on a house.
The weay you like to fix your house up I doubt you would stand for that from your pets.
So come on up to OKC

Here's a picture of the house BTW:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/bigguy...c=bc%26.view=l

I guess i should upload some more now that it is summer and the yard looks a LOT better

Old 08-20-02, 06:43 PM
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Cool I like your house

Car 54 or RegCab54,

I would sure like to know how you came up with the handle?

I did see the previous pics of your home. It looks very nice. Looks just like one had the the option of buying on a lease/purchase option in Wisconsin. I can't remember how it was going to work, but after five years I would be able to use the equity to get the loan in my name alone. I have been kicking myself all over for not jumping at the opportunity. I liked the neighborhood, too. Oh well, this way I don't have to shovel snow.

You're right, my animals don't ruin the house, just "my" furniture.

Thanks for the OKC offer. I could send my younger sister down, she only has one dog, one cat and two kids It must be so nice to have your own house.

Unless Habitat for Humanity would buy an old one for me (I'd fix it up!!!) or one of my kids' wealthy friends decided to throw their money around (or at least my way) I imagine I'll be renting for the rest of my life. What a thing to look forward to. Guess it isn't where you live, but how you live that counts. Gag.

I truly appreciate all of the help you've offered. Here is another question: I've just noticed (after seven years!!) that the walls weren't painted seven years ago, but have some sort of "cover-all-the-blemishes" sandpaper looking paint? on them? I truly don't want to paint over this as it attracts fur/hair like a magnet. Vacuuming the walls isn't my idea of fun, I'd rather just do the floors. I have no idea how to get rid of it and don't really want to sand it all down. I notice that the same covering in the bedrooms has started to peel. The coats of paint under this "stuff" make it seem like wallpaper as it peels off. Guck. Any ideas? The manager of this place was just here and told me that the owner wouldn't pay me, but would pay for paint, etc. I am going to beard her in her den, so to speak, and tell her exactly what I will have to do to make this place look decent. I work slowly, so even if she paid $5/hr for half of the time she'd come out ahead.

Let's see some summer pictures of your house. Also all the new improvements you've made with the help of all the great folks on DYI.

Maureen

Old 08-21-02, 05:48 AM
Lightbulb Cant afford house

How much are you paying in rent ??
Normally a house payment is 1% of it's cost including taxes and insurance, mine is more because it's only a 5 year loan instead of 30 ( I can afford $325.00, my house payment would have been under $200.00 if i went 30 years)
Buying a house is CHEAPER than renting unless you get some special discount or subsidy on your rent.
If you are paying market rate buying is almost always better.
Investors would not pay more in a house payment than they collect in rent would they ??
Kinda defeats the point of "investment" property
Come up to OKC if you can't find anything reasonably priced in TX, there are plenty more house in my neighborhood for $20K
Punch in 73129 at www.realtor.com and see for yourself
Most of them are fix up houses landlords buy for investments.

About the 54regcab, it is my ID on F150online a truck enthusiast site.
I picked the ID because my F150 has a rare combo of a 5.4L engine on a regular cab truck, normally the 5.4L engine is reserved for the larger trucks.

As far as the peeling paint goes, just scrap it off with a scraper, that will be the easiest way.
maybe spraying it with a water bottle enough to lossen the "stuff" but not soak the drywall would help

Email me a big_guy571@cox.net and I'll send you the rest of the pics, it's easier than uploading them to yahoo.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: