Flourescent Light Fixtures

Old 05-12-00, 01:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I just repaced an old kitchen light fixture that was constantly flickering. I rewired it the exact same way as I disconeccted it yet it wont light up. There were two white wires from the ceiling pigtailed to the white wire from the fixture and a black wire and a white wire from the ceiling pigtailed to the black wire from the fixture. I know the black wire is supposed to go to the wall switch(I think). Is there supposed to be some sort of copper or green gound wire? There are only the white and black wires coming from the ballast. Can anyone help me with this? What am I doing wrong?

Old 05-12-00, 11:01 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Julius,
sounds like power is comeing into the light with a switch leg(black and white)going to the switch. remove your switch from wall and check to c if it has a white and a black on the switch. if so then im betting u crossed a wire. useing a tester locate power in the light, the black will be the hot and white your nutural. now with circuit power off turn on your switch and useing an ohm meter place 1 probe on a black and 1 on a white repeat till u get a reading this is your switch leg. connect white of switch leg to black power, connect remaining whites together and place black of switch leg on light black.

Old 05-16-00, 02:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the feedback Sprky. It turns out that after looking things a little closer and letting a little of the frustration wear off, I saw that the white wire that had been pigtailed with the black one was actually a black wire that had been painted over. I grounded two copper wires hanging from the fixture around a screw that was hanging from the ceiling and changed out the bulbs. Now it works like a charm. Julius

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: