Ohm meter calibration

Old 06-29-02, 08:28 PM
Mombo
Visiting Guest
Ohm meter calibration

I would like to know how to calibrate my Ohm Meter. It is the type that has the sweeping needle, not the digital type. There is a little thumb wheel on the side, and a setting on the dial for "ohm meter calibration". Im trying to test some things. but not sure how to calibrate the instrument to make sure Im getting an accurate reading. Thanks for the advise

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-02, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Normally analog meters are just set to zero, but check on the meter scale to see if there is a calibration mark that you are supposed to align the needle with when you select ohm meter calibration. If not, just zero the needle. Keep in mind that an analog meter will not be quite as accurately read as a digital, so consider investing in a better meter if your readings are critical.

Old 06-29-02, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Had an afterthought on that; have been using a digital for a while and my menory was a little fuzzy. The method I used to use on analogs was to place the meter in the resistance (ohm) scale desired and touch the two leads together. With the leads touching, adjust for a zero (0) ohms reading. Your particular meter should calibrate one way or the other.

Old 06-29-02, 09:21 PM
terrywouldbe
Visiting Guest
There should be a set screw on the face of the analog meter which will allow you to set the needle, using a standard screwdriver, to the infinity mark on the left side of the scale. Do this without touching the leads together.

After that, set the dial to the resistance scale you wish to use, and then, touch the two leads together and adjust the needle to 0 (all the way to the right side of the scale).

-Terry

Old 06-29-02, 09:27 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks, terry; forgot to mention the set-screw. Also some meters just have a simple thumb wheel for adjusting the zero.