GFI; interior & exterior; same circuit

Old 06-30-02, 10:07 AM
O
olalde2000
Visiting Guest
GFI; interior & exterior; same circuit

GFI in bathroom trips frequently when I use heavy equipment on exterior outlet. Is is acceptable to have an exterior outlet connected like this??

Do I need a higher amp GFI in the bathroom? Or is this acceptable, but the GFI is going bad and just needs to be replaced?

(I changed the ext outlet, then the circuit breaker before realizing it was on the bathroom GFI, and just needed to be reset. House next to me has the same problem.)

This lady needs help!!! Juanita

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-02, 10:19 AM
K
kpell
Visiting Guest
According to my understanding of the nec, and by no means am I an expert, a mere novice at that, but I think I am correct on this one. Your bathroom should be wired on 1 circuit, by itself, it is okay to include light/fan with the GFCI outlet in the bathroom but nothing outside the bathroom. I am sure if I am incorrect on this one that John or Wg will tell you the correct code by NEC.

Regards,

Kenny

Old 06-30-02, 10:39 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Although Kenny is correct that this wiring would not be allowed under today's code, it was allowed under codes in place not long ago. Replacing the GFCI receptacle with a "higher amp" one won't do any good, but replacing it with a new one might. That's exactly what I'd recommend you try next, and that might take care of your problem.

However, you may just need to be more careful about what you run simultaneously on this circuit. Make sure you know everything that's on the circuit -- it probably includes every bathroom, all outdoor receptacles, and basement and garage receptacles too. When you use your outdoor equipment, ask your family not to use any of these other receptacles.