Lost circuit

Old 05-09-00, 07:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

How can I find a GFI that seems to have tripped. No breakers in Circuit box tripped, I cannot locate any more GFI recepticals, and I have two patio and two kicthen outlets without power (I had a powersaw plugged into the patio outlet when I lost power).
Thanks,
Joel

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-00, 08:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Check the garage and the bathroom(s) for additional GFCI's.

Old 05-10-00, 04:36 PM
Visiting Guest
looks like lefty prity well covered this 1

Old 05-10-00, 06:49 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joel Relethford:
How can I find a GFI that seems to have tripped. No breakers in Circuit box tripped, I cannot locate any more GFI recepticals, and I have two patio and two kicthen outlets without power (I had a powersaw plugged into the patio outlet when I lost power).
Thanks,
Joel
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That is the question, I have checked the entire house and garage, the GFIs that I have found have power coming out (front and back)

Old 05-11-00, 12:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Maybe there is no GFCI, and a wire broke
off somewhere (I'd suspect the deck outlet you ran the saw off of).

Old 05-11-00, 06:43 PM
Visiting Guest
hello jowl,
if u have checked and found no triped gfci's then there is a wireing problem, loose connections, bad breaker, bad outlet. if i was to choose most common thing it would be loose connections, especily if the outlets have been back stabed (wire pushed into the holes in back of devices instead of useing the screws), u need to start checking outlets from last working on the circuit.

Old 05-16-00, 07:26 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sprky:
hello jowl,
if u have checked and found no triped gfci's then there is a wireing problem, loose connections, bad breaker, bad outlet. if i was to choose most common thing it would be loose connections, especily if the outlets have been back stabed (wire pushed into the holes in back of devices instead of useing the screws), u need to start checking outlets from last working on the circuit.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I ended up hiring an electrician to come out and fix it. It was a GFI in the Dining room of all places! He said the code requires one there. We found it hiding behind a china hutch. Thanks for your help, and hope you can pass this on to the next one.
Joel

Old 05-16-00, 09:00 PM
Visiting Guest
A GFCI in the dining room? Required by code? What version of the NEC is this guy reading? (And what's he smoking when he reads it??) <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joel Relethford:
Originally posted by sprky:
hello jowl,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I ended up hiring an electrician to come out and fix it. It was a GFI in the Dining room of all places! He said the code requires one there. We found it hiding behind a china hutch. Thanks for your help, and hope you can pass this on to the next one.
Joel

Old 05-17-00, 02:49 PM
Visiting Guest
hello joel,
i 2 would like to know what nec this guy is going by. only place a gfci is required is within 6' of a sink, baths, garages, unfinished basements, outside recepts, and recepts required for equipment service. think i covered all in a residance. but no where in the code does it state 1 is required in a dineing room. what i think he is meaning is the gfci is required since it is feeding an outside recep. same thing can be done by installing the gfci outside.