Weatherhead Leak

Old 06-30-02, 02:54 PM
E
Edgewood
Visiting Guest
Question Weatherhead Leak

I have just purchased a new home...my 1st! We have found some rust in the base of the elctrical box and the source looks to be through the weatherhead. I was informed that it is possible to seal this with silicone..as I would like to fix the leak before replacing the box! Any tips on type of sealant(if not silicone)...saftey hazards and code conformance on doing this would be greatly appreciated. Along with any other possible cures. Thanks- Scott
PS-Are the wires coming into the weatherhead safe to touch with a caulking gun...or am I looking for trouble??

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-02, 07:17 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
The wires at the weatherhead is unfused staight from the transformer dangerous. Any part of the service is a shock hazard if you don't know what to touch and what not to touch.

Look at the weaterhead. See if the wires coming out of that weatherhead connecting to the Utility Company overhead service conductors are formed in a "U" pattern so that any water running on the wires will drip off the wires rather than run down the wires into the weatherhead.

Properly installed service equipment such as weatherheads and outside boxes do not need sealant if properly installed and proper equipment is being used.

I suspect your water is coming from an ill shaped "U" at the weatherhead forming the wires in that "U" shape. A poorly shaped "U" will invite water into the weather head in a driving rain. That may be where the rust is coming from.

Also look for a damaged hub on top of your meter base that may be broken and leaking water, or possibly a damaged conduit also can cause what you discribe.

Wg