Light wiring

Old 06-30-02, 07:31 PM
D
Dxtrboygnius
Visiting Guest
Question Light wiring

I am running new wire to a light in bathroom. I have a single pole light switch that lights up. I have power coming in to the light switch and from the light switch to the light. I have the hot (black) wire from supply to the bottom screw. I have the light wire hot (black) on the upper screw. The two neutrals are wired together. Problem one: there is power on the bottm and the top screw no matter if the switch is on or off, the power is constant to the light. Problem two: the switch is not lit up no matter what position it is in (on or off). Is the switch defective? Its a new switch just bought.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-02, 07:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So are you saying that the bathroom light is on even when the switch is off? If so, then the switch probably is defective. If not, what do you mean by "power on the bottom and top screw"? How are you measuring "power"?

There are several different designs for how lighted switches work. Without knowing what kind you have, I can only suggest that you connect it following the installation instructions that came with it.

Old 07-01-02, 07:03 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That is correct on or off light is on all the time. When I look at a single pole switch the ground screw is on top left side and 2 screws on right side both hot wires. I have two sets of wires in the electrical box. Does it matter which hot wire goes where since the neutral wires are together?
How many wires of each color are at the light box? One black and one white, or more?

You might conduct an experiment. Shut off the breaker and disconnect the two black wires from the switch. Making sure these wires are not touching anything, turn the breaker back on. Is the bathroom light on now?

There are other possible problems too, such as a short developing when you pack the wires back into the box. Keep all your wires arranged neatly.

P.S. It would be clearer to me if you just stick to describing wires by the color, i.e., black or white. When you say "hot" or "neutral", you are assigning a purpose to the wire which may or may not be correct. Not all white wires are neutrals, and not all hot wires are black.