Burying telephone cable to a detached garage

Old 06-30-02, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burying telephone cable to a detached garage

Guys, I have a detached garage that's about 80-100feet from my house. I really wish that I had buried my cable in a conduit of some sort when I trenched years ago, but directly buried my telephone cable. This worked great for some years until, I'm sure, a tree probably grew through it. My trench was so crooked that a conduit would have been tough at the time so I am not too upset at my oversight. Since then I've tried wireless devices like the one RCA makes that utilizes house wiring, but it suffers from distance and other maladies, and nothing since the direct hard wire has been as good. My question is: if I trench this thing oncemore, is there such a wire as direct burial telephone wire that can take the elements? If there isnt I'll have to cut a very neat trench and pipe it in and with all of my mature trees, this isnt too easy. I hope that one of you has done this one before and can help. Thanks,quickrick.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-02, 09:58 PM
MTgets
Visiting Guest
Quickrick,
I would consider piping it in with Schedule 80 3/4 inch PVC ridgid non metallic conduit (grey) The pipe will provide more protection and you can always (hopefully)! pull the cable out and pull a new one in, pvc is pretty easy to run in a crooked trench, it bends well on its own and if neccessary, a small propane torch carefully used will make the pipe pliable to bend and keeps its conformed shape when cooled.

Be sure not to go over 360 degrees worth of bending radius or pulling will be hard, use some pulling lube if neccessary.

P.S.
keep the torch away 6-8 inches and rotate the pipe for a even heat distribution do not let the pipe burn or you ruin the integrity.

Old 06-30-02, 11:59 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
quickrick, I used #18/4 low voltage sprinkler cable for telephone extentions out to detached building. It's rated for direct burial. I normally use it for low voltage yard lights. Or you can run CAT-3 (gray) in PVC conduit. Whichever is easiest for you.

Fred

Old 07-01-02, 12:02 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
quickrick, Home Depot carries that #18/4 and CAT-3 cable.

Fred

Old 07-01-02, 05:29 PM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
You need some direct burial phone cable like the phone company uses. It has an outer polyethelene jacket, a metallic "gopher" shield, and 2 to 6 pairs in a waterproof jel. I don't know where you can but it except at a large supply house and then only on a 1000' spool. Reqular Cat-3 phone wire in an underground conduit will not last long, because it is not suitable for wet locations. All underground conduits fill with water. If it is just a plain old telephone, the 18/4 sprinkler wire should work fine.
Don

Old 07-01-02, 05:46 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Don, Your right, I checked the WW Grainger catalog and spec's say pvc riser meaning above ground conduit installation for CAT-3 cable.

Fred

Old 07-02-02, 03:51 PM
george703
Visiting Guest
Wouldn't a newer cordless phone cover the 100 feet, without the cable? i thought those mghtz phones were supposed to have a much greater range. Just a thought.

Old 07-02-02, 04:31 PM
Cool

Home Depot carries Cat5 indoor/outdoor cable (NOT direct burial!), I would do the pvc conduit, making sure that all joints have plenty of glue on them, and pull in the cable. Direct burial is not worth the effort, it may need to be done again someday. If wire needs to be changed in conduit, zip, zip, done. pull the new through with the old, or fish is through.

gj
Make sure whatever cable you use has twisted pairs, to reduce interference. All new voice installations must have a minimum of Cat3 cable.

Old 07-02-02, 04:50 PM
Quickrick
An easier method is to use the black flexible PVC water line. It comes in 100 ft rolls and is much cheaper than ridgid PVC. I used it for satelite wiring and it has held up for about 15 years now. You can run the wiring inside the pipe before you bury it and bend it up on the end where it comes into the house and gagage. No leaking joints for fittings.

Nashcat

Old 07-02-02, 04:52 PM
Great idea, but not exactly in the NEC.
Certainly an option WITH NO LEAKS FROM JOINTS BETWEEN PIECES!!!

gj

Old 07-02-02, 06:42 PM
telephone wire burial

Guys--Thanks for the great ideas!! I'm going to combine a bunch of them. quickrick

Old 07-02-02, 07:58 PM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
Even without joints the pipe will fill with water as a result of condensation.
Don

Old 07-03-02, 11:15 AM
I forgot to mention that after the wire is run, fill the end of the pvc with silicon sealer to prevent condensation and anoying insects that use the pipe as their home.
Nashcat