dishwasher installation/wireing

Old 07-01-02, 07:38 AM
maureen101
Visiting Guest
dishwasher installation/wireing

I plan on installing a built in dishwasher it will be on the right of the sink and the outlet is on the left above the counter so i have to add another outlet do I need to take any special precautions?does the wire gauge change?

Old 07-01-02, 08:39 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You are not allowed by code to connect the dishwasher to a circuit serving a kitchen counter receptacle.

Was this house ever wired for a dishwasher? Or perhaps for a garbage disposal? If so, you can tap into either of those circuits. If not, you should install a new circuit. Some dishwashers require a 20-amp circuit, some can run on a 15-amp circuit. If you have both the disposal and dishwasher on the same circuit (not the best idea, but workable), then it should be a 20-amp circuit.

Wire gauge always matters. Use either 12 or 14 on a 15-amp circuit, and use 12 only on a 20-amp circuit. It's a good idea to use 12 on both.

Old 07-01-02, 09:10 AM
maureen101
Visiting Guest
dishwasher

no its never had either but recently had an electric water heater installed with a new 20 amp circuit breaker would that work and if so where do i tie in?

Old 07-01-02, 11:29 AM
J
The water heater circuit is not going to satisfy this need. Almost all water heaters are 240-volt, and almost all dishwashers are 120-volt. Furthermore, the water heater circuit was sized for the water heater alone.

You're going to need a new circuit for your dishwasher.

Old 07-01-02, 06:31 PM
maureen101
Visiting Guest
circuit breaker

John checked the box and found not all breakers controlled what they were identified for(had a heat pump installed two years ago)took me awhile but now have all but one 30 amp circuit breaker going to something.there is a wall switch from the old furnace will have someone come and check this out and go from there.thanks for your help

Old 07-01-02, 07:18 PM
J
The two most common things in a house to run off a 30-amp 240-volt circuit are an electric water heater and an electric clothes dryer. 30-amp 120-volt circuits are not common.

I commend you for doing the research to identify exactly what is controlled by what breaker. This will come in useful over and over again.

Old 07-26-02, 05:23 AM
maureen101
Visiting Guest
dishwasher installation

John,want to thank you for your help.took your advice and had a new breaker installed,diswasher and over the range microwave both installed up to code,thanks again it is nice to have some where to go for support.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: