Fixing a lamp

Old 05-29-00, 03:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a lamp that I want to fix. It is a living room lamp with three light bulbs--can turn on 1, 2, 3, or none. I still have the cord attached to the plug. However the cord is not attached to the lamp.

the cord has two wires(copper in color), but the remainder of the cord left coming out of the lamp is a single round wire(silver in color). HELP?! My roomate already tried to fix it and blew a fuze...the wire got really hot. I told her I would fix it!

thank you in advance for any help. Deirdre

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-00, 03:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

You need to replace your entire lamp cord. Get a new one at the hardware store. One wire of the cord will be plain. One will be marked with stripes or imprints. The marked wire is the neutral, and should be attached to the silver-colored screw in the lamp. Attach the plain wire (hot) to the brass screw. When you take the top of the lamp apart, you'll see what I mean. Should be o.k. Good Luck!

Old 05-29-00, 03:47 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OldGuy:
You need to replace your entire lamp cord. Get a new one at the hardware store. One wire of the cord will be plain. One will be marked with stripes or imprints. The marked wire is the neutral, and should be attached to the silver-colored screw in the lamp. Attach the plain wire (hot) to the brass screw. When you take the top of the lamp apart, you'll see what I mean. Should be o.k. Good Luck!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 05-29-00, 06:37 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Deirdre,
looks like the oldguy helped u on this 1.