Dual GFCI Cirtuits

Old 07-02-02, 04:31 AM
R
RAB48
Visiting Guest
Dual GFCI Circuits

My garage is wired with 12/3 w ground wiring. I would like to have two GFCI circuits (separate circuit on top and bottom outlets). I tried to put two gfci breakers in the main panel (had to pigtail the one common wire to both breakers). However, the breakers trip whenever I try to activate them. Is this because of the use of one common wire for both breakers? I did break the bar on the outlets in the garage that tie top and bottom together (hot side only, not the common? Is there any way to do what I want?

Last edited by RAB48; 07-02-02 at 10:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-02, 06:27 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I assume that this is wired as a multiwire circuit, with the two breakers on opposite phases. I also hope that these two breakers are side by side (one above the other).

You can kill two birds with one stone. Take out those two GFCI single-pole breakers, and install one 240/120 double-pole GFCI breaker (2 inches wide) in their place. These are a bit hard to find in 20-amps, so you may need to go to an electrical supply store rather than your local home improvement center. This will not only make the GFCI work properly, but will fix that code violation you have because your current breakers don't have a common trip lever.

If the existing two breakers are not one above the other, you'll have to do some rearranging to make that so. Be careful to keep all other multiwire circutis on opposite phases as you rearrange.

Old 07-09-02, 06:18 AM
R
RAB48
Visiting Guest
Dual GFCI Circuits

Works great. Thanks for the help.