3-Phase, 220V and other band power distro plans?

Old 07-02-02, 01:46 PM
C
childprodigy
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb 3-Phase, 220V and other band power distro plans?

Hi, I am a student that puts on musical events that require a lot of power, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has any plans for some sort of power distro system??? I know heaps about wiring already, but anything over 125V is a bit of a mystery to me. Help Please!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-02, 03:06 PM
L
LouieS
Visiting Guest
Have you looked at portable power distribution boxes? These are available for rent. You might check this website for ideas.

http://www.ericson.com/NEW%20temporary_power.htm

Old 07-02-02, 03:53 PM
C
childprodigy
Visiting Guest
thanks louise, but I am looking for something a little more industrial than that.

I would really like the challenge of building something from scratch so that it would be to my own specs. I just need the plans for 3-phase and 220V

thanks anyway!
Ryan

Old 07-02-02, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you familiar with 3phase in any way?
I am asking a serios question, because it is very extensive to explain to someone not familiar with it.
Also there is no 220 volts in it.
Are you thinking of a 208Y/120, 208 delta, 240 delta, or something else? the options are many.

gj

Old 07-02-02, 04:02 PM
C
childprodigy
Visiting Guest
unfortunally, I am not, but I do know some things about it, or so i think, but I guess what I am looking for is just some plans to use 3phase, not to understand it completely, even tho I know a little already about the idea of it.

what I do know is that 3phase power is available at a lot of stages I play at.

what is delta

i am thinking a lot of things right now, and basically I am just feeling this thing out so that maybe I could get some new ideas and/or plans to build some power distro.

thanks

Old 07-02-02, 04:03 PM
C
childprodigy
Visiting Guest
do you know of any good links that you could point me to for some solutions/education in this area?

Old 07-02-02, 04:50 PM
D
DaveB.inVa
Visiting Guest
http://www.elec-toolbox.com/usefulinfo/xfmr-3ph.htm

Heres a good one to visualize 3 phase power.http://www.marist.edu/physics/applets/acMotor1.html

http://www.suttondesigns.com/glossary/3phase.shtml

Most 3 phase youll run into will be 120/208. This is a Wye configuration, all legs to neutral will read 120v while leg to leg will read 208v. You can also find this in a 277/480 version.

The one to watch out for is a Delta with a High Leg. Here 2 legs will read 120v to ground while the High Leg will read 208v to ground. If you connect to the high leg all the smoke will be let out of the system rendering it inoperative. Here you will have 240v between any two legs.

Ive never been in the musical business like you but I would suspect most of your loads are line to neutral??

Old 07-02-02, 05:35 PM
N
nano
Visiting Guest
I would agree with that last statement. Please be careful. I used to play on stages and have all sorts of PA equipment and amplifiers. None of which is 3 phase. They all operate on line to neutral. It just plugs in.
I'm not sure about arena equipment. If you can pack a 40,000 seat arena, possibly some of the equipment may be three phase but I'm not sure. But if you are selling that many tickets, you probably wouldn't be posting here.

Old 07-02-02, 05:35 PM
L
LouieS
Visiting Guest
Here is a website of "event" distribution products and they do have 3phase.

http://www.lexproducts.com/

Making your own electrical distribution equipment for public events is not a good DIY project. You are probably not licensed nor insured to build electrical equipment. You do not want to take on this liability.

Old 07-02-02, 05:42 PM
The webpages links above cover the issue pretty well for explaining the basic the youy need to know, and most likely you will come accross 120/208 in your travels. Just make sure that your neutrals are all installed properly, and the loads on each of the phases is balanced. If you are not familiar with the NEC, it may be advisable to consult it for specific overcurrent protection protection, and other protection requirements, and other wiring requirements that apply to your needs.

Tell us more about what you want to do.

gj

Old 07-02-02, 06:28 PM
C
childprodigy
Visiting Guest
Thanks to everybody who posted replys here!!!

I am finding them quite useful.

Of course I will be having my handy work checked out by a lincensed electrician(my grandfather) so don't worry, kiddies! Thanks for your concern tho!

Regarding the 3-phase gear, no gear that I can think of runs off of 3-phase, but the stage at my high school was wired with 3 phase available, so thats just what I was going by! The last big show that came to that stage used 3 phase.

Thanks Again!

Old 07-03-02, 06:26 AM
J
jn
In my many yesrs of playing in bands I have seen a wide variety of "direct hook-ups" (as we called them). Some were very ingenious and some were equally dangerous and crazy in design. Looking back I'm suprised no-one was ever injured!
Just to trigger some conversation I will mention some of the things I've seen and used.
One preIn the many years I've been in bands I have seen all kinds of tty good design we used started with a big spool of relatively heavy gauge wire (I think it was 6 gauge with 4 insulated conductors in it and was jacketed in a heavy rubber sheath). We mounted a small (I think 60 amp) circuit breaker panel right to the top of the spool. We hooked up the wire inside the panel as you normally would and ran the wire thru a strain relief out the bottom of the panel and into the center of the spool. We then drilled a hole in the side of the spool and clamped the wire again there. From there the wire would just wrap around the the spool to give us the length we needed. At the other end we had a variety of small extension cords of all kinds that on one end connected to a big 60 amp twist-lock style connector that was always the same. The other end would have mating connectors for things like dryers and such. We mimicked all the normal outlets we found in the clubs and made little cords to go from their outlets to our twist-lock and would label the cords with the club names and general location to find the outlet (like Hard Rock Cafe- back kitchen).
One of the extension cords I dont recommend (but remember and shudder at the thought) was like 4 battery jumper cabels on one end that was sometimes clamped directly to the main lugs of various clubs (One on each power lug, one on the neutral bar and one on the ground bar). I even remember someone climbing a pole at an outdoor party to hook up....but I REALLY don't want to think about that. I know how it is though. You are hired to preform. There is almost never enough power for all the amps and lights etc etc. We were desparate to put on a good show. But its not worth dying for. This is a good forum to bounce your final designs off of. There are VERY knowledgeable people that post here.
We put big casters under the spool to roll it around on. It had a roll bar on top to help push it around and to protect the panel. On the back side of the panel we wired up as many outlets as we could fit, bolting the metal boxes right to the back of the panel. We then labeled the outlets with a number that corresponded the the 20 amp breaker on the opposite side (the wiring here was 12 awg and real short as it would only run from the breaker to the outlet right through the back of the panel.)
Well thats enough for now...(p.s. keep the jumper cables in your trunk and only use them for your car! I only mentioned our earlier use to give WG and John N the willies!)

Old 07-03-02, 11:54 AM
C
childprodigy
Visiting Guest
Thank you, JN, you are a saint!

And yes, there is NEVER ever enough power!

Keep on Rockin,

Ryan