on/off switches

Old 07-02-02, 03:32 PM
D
Dgardner
Visiting Guest
on/off switches

I'm trying to change out all my on/off switches with the old-fashioned pushbutton switches. My house currently has the big plastic switches. I noticed that the new switches I bought have their screws in different places than all the manuals I've found--most manuals show the screws for the wires one on top of the other on the right side of the box. These new switches have one screw on either side. Which wire (black or white) goes on which side? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-02, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you saying you are going from modern toggle switches (up/down) to the old fashion pushbuttons?
Just clarification. As long as there are only two screws and this is not including the green/hexagon shaped screw, the two current carring conductors can go to either terminal. 3way switches are different, if you have these, we may need to help you more..

gj

Old 07-02-02, 07:46 PM
B
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
I assume you mean reproduction push button switches, which are UL approved. They function like any other 2-way light switch, black wires on either terminal and white wires connected with a wire nut.

Old 07-02-02, 10:04 PM
F
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Dgardner, Whats the brand name, model or part number of those switches. Every so often I have customer who is interested in that type of switch and have not been able to find them.

Fred

Old 07-03-02, 05:18 AM
B
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
FreddyG_001, There are several online dealers. www.rejuvenation.com has the fastest service and has great switch plates to go with the buttons. There are also dimmers and three-way push-buttons available. The dimmer uses one button for on/off and a knob for dimming. They look great.

Old 07-03-02, 08:13 AM
F
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Thanks Jeff, I know about the dimmers especially the lutron brand. Any other websites out there?

Fred

Old 07-03-02, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carefull, most of the reproduction switches are not UL listed.

Old 07-03-02, 07:27 PM
B
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
There is really only one manufacturer I am aware of. The UL Listing was pending forsome time, but they have it now.

Old 07-08-02, 09:53 AM
D
Dgardner
Visiting Guest
There really was no brand name--they came in little plain white boxes labeled only with the part number--I have two kinds, a regular SW90 and a three-way SW93 (I think) for a hall light that links to two switches. They're reproductions... I bought them at San Diego Hardware on Fifth Ave. in San Diego, and that's the only place here that I could find them.