door opener

Old 07-02-02, 09:40 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
door opener

I don't know if this is the right forum,but i have this garage door opener and i sprayed liquid wrench on the chain and when the chain went back to the motor it made a loud snapping noise and started smoking i shut it off and have not operated it since.What caused this and is it safe to run again?It is a sears/craftsman 1.5 motor.

Old 07-03-02, 06:31 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Liquid wrench is not an acceptable chain lubricant. It's far too thin.

However, I doubt that this caused your problem. I think you have a broken garage door spring. If you have to coiled kind above the door, examine both sides carefully. I think you'll find one is broken. If so, get them both replaced (probably less than $200). I don't recommend garage door springs as a DIY job -- it can be quite dangerous.

Then buy some real chain lubricant.

Old 07-10-02, 11:18 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry it took so long to get back,i checked the springs and they were alright.

Old 07-10-02, 04:00 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
There is travel limits that dictate how far the chain runs on the track without butting against the motor and causing the motor to lock up.

There is a bracket the your door opener connects to the garage door by an arm. Where this arm is connected is what can lock up a motor if that bracket is missing a travel limit control.

Look at where that bracket is positioned on your door opener track. Is it against the end of the track on the motor side or the other end of the track. If it is you most likely knocked off a travel limit switch or you moved where the chain was timed on teh door opener gears.

TAke a look and see if this is your problem. Then we may be able to help you retime the chain and reinstall your limit switch controls on the chain.

Let us know what you find

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: