Receptacles

Old 07-03-02, 06:26 PM
bsanders
Visiting Guest
Receptacles

Must outlets be 18" from floor to meet code? My older home has receptacles mounted in the 12" trim board along the floor. Can I stay with this placement? I think I will change to 18", but, was wondering. Sent for the NEC code, but, haven't gotten it yet.

Old 07-03-02, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No minimum height code requirement for general receptacles.

Old 07-04-02, 07:20 AM
LouieS
Visiting Guest
ADA rules call for the receptacles to be 15" off of the floor IF the building must comply with handicap access. Home owners can take advantage of this as we all get old or sick and might end up in a wheel chair for a while. However, this feature probably isn't practical if nothing else in the home meets ADA . I've built a few homes for people who intend to be there till the end and they attempted to meet ADA rules wherever practical including elevators, lever door knobs, wider halls and doorways, low dam heights on showers, etc. Switches and such should be below 48".

Old 07-04-02, 02:03 PM
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
Louis good point but what about divider walls? IE a railing where they must be in the floor?

Mike

Old 07-05-02, 08:15 AM
LouieS
Visiting Guest
Even where ADA applies in commercial buildings no inspector here has ever questioned placement of floor outlets. Usually there are others around that meet the requirement. The ADA rules must have some common sense flexibility in that regard.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: