How to wire a lighted mirror/cabinet???

Old 05-30-00, 07:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am replacing an existing pull switch light in the bathroom with a 3-light(ed) mirror/ med. cabinet. But, I also have to wire it to a switch - that does not exist! I did try a couple of things already and promptly blew a fuse (twice). But, I'm pretty sure I didn't connect the ground wire to the ground screw... (the fuses blew when I switched the switch to "off").
Any advise on this would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Old 05-30-00, 09:04 PM
Visiting Guest
The lite fixture is powered by a black (hot) and a white (neutral) wire. The wall switch you want to add is simply a break in the black wire. From the lite fixture, run a 14-2 to the switch. In the lite fixture, connect the incoming hot (black) to the white of this 14-2. At the switch, connext the black to one screw, the white to the other. Back at the lite fixture, the black of the 14-2 you ran will now be switched. Connect that to the lite fixture leads.

Old 06-01-00, 04:20 PM
Visiting Guest
hello vlamour,
what u need to do is creat a switch loop. the way to go abought this is from the light box run a piece if wire the same size u have now eather 12 or 14 2 with ground to switch location. connect the white of switch leg to black in light box (hot) and white (nutural)in the light box to new light, connect the black coming from switch (switched power) to the new light, connect all bare wires together and to green or bare on new light. in the switch box connect both the white and the black to the switch, and bare to the green screw if present.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: