Aluminum & Copper in same breaker panel

Old 07-04-02, 08:13 AM
B
bayouroads
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Aluminum & Copper in same breaker panel

My wife had her house built in 1971 and they used aluminum wiring. Since then she has added on 600 sq.ft. The service panel is still the original. 100 AMP with 1) 40 Amp Double Pole, 1) 30 Amp Double Pole, 6) 20 Amp Single Pole and 2) 30 Amp Single Pole breakers. There are no more spaces available for additional breakers. Most of the Breakers/Circuits are dangerously overloaded now. I just installed a new meter panel/breaker panel combination box on the outside of the house yesterday. I replaced the old aluminum from the meter to the wetherhead and to my inside breker box with copper. Is this okay ? I will be transferring all of my 220 Volt appliance circuits to the new box. I am also installing a new panel on the inside with more breker space capacity.In the mean time I have begun replacing the aluminum wiring with copper. What a job. I am not mixing, slpicing or connecting any of the aluminum to the copper. I do however have copper wire connected to some of my breakers and aluminum to others. Is this okay ? Thank you for your help, Don.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-02, 10:01 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As long as you dont mix it you are doing well and it seems that you are going to replace the al. Alum connections are not very reliable in junction boxes and devices. Good idea to get rid of it. It wont hurt to put it on the breaker though.