electric service vs gas

Old 06-01-00, 04:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I am buying a newly built home in a south Florida development. The home will have 150 AMP service but all appliances and the air conditioner will be natural gas. If I want all the applicance and the air conditioner to be electric the developer said that the additional cost to me would be $2300.

Can you tell me is that a reasonable cost?

Thank you

JJC

Old 06-01-00, 04:00 PM
Visiting Guest
hello cojo34613,
i have no way of knowing if this is resionabel or not. it all depends on the area code and such. i sugest u talk to other builders in your area to obtain this info.

Old 06-01-00, 04:24 PM
Visiting Guest
CoJo,

Being a South Floridian I might be able to help you but,
The way you phrase your sentence it sounds like the house is already built and ready for occupancy. If this is true the cost goes up considerably. Since you don't list the applicances, I would assume they are the standard big ones, range, dryer, water heater, and A/C.
Cost also depends on distance. A 6/4 for range costs about a $1.00 per foot for example. But given all the extenuating circumstances it is quite high. In a build home you can do this in the range of $800 to $1200. If it is still in a rough stage it is in the range of 1/2 the cost.
Typically, the builder of these developments makes his gravy profits from add-ons and changes. They love them. They want you to think that you have to use them only. If the house is built and it has been cleared for occupancy, then get other bids. If it is in the rough stage, you're a hostage. If you want get other bids even at this stage for work after it is completed when other electricians would have access to do the work.

Old 06-02-00, 12:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Dave

Thanks for your answer. The home is not built yet. We are in the planning stage with the developer, who says the entire development will be gas. The house would include all of the appliances and the air conditioner. The microwave would not be included and I asked the sales person about the refrigerator and washer and she was not sure. We could live with gas hot water heating and clothes drying but not for cooking and particularly NOT air conditioning - we want electricity. The cost seems inflated to me - how much more can it cost above a 150 AMP installation. Thanks for your help. If you have any other thoughts please let me know.

cojo

Old 06-02-00, 03:50 PM
Visiting Guest
CoJo.

The 150 amp service is totally adaquate even with all of your appliances being electric, including a 10kw heat in your central air unit.
If he is recommeding upgrading to 200, that is OK, but the cost is quite negligible. Most 150 amp panels are rated for 200 but have 150 amp main breakers. The cost of a 150 is the same as for a 200. The amount of spaces in the panel will make a difference.
150 amps usually are 24/36 spaces, while 200 are up to 40/42 range.
However, going back to a comment I made in the original post, this is a large developer, and he is looking at a change order that will cost him possibly $100 difference, but you are hostage and he will make money on the change orders.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: