Temp service panel setup

Old 07-05-02, 08:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Temp service panel setup

'am building a new house.

need to put up temp 100 amp service

have done this before-actually. I know

and have all the information on the

"structure" pole setup.

Wiring down from the

weather head, to the meter, to the

shutoff,to the outlet is my concern.

No howto manuals ever show this

wiring diagram. plus materials needed

Tia Larry
Old 07-06-02, 07:08 PM
HandyRon's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 1,287
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The installation is a simplified permanant service that you will put in the house later. A service drop, a meter, a main service disconnect, some type of fuse or cirucit breaker to protect some outlets on a branch circuit.

What aspect are you concerned with?
Old 07-06-02, 07:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Try the following link. This is the old version still on line on our web site concerning building an overhead temporary sevice pole. Howeverr before you build that temp pole confirm with your power company whether they want an overhead temp or an undeground temp for a ground mounted transformer. May surprise you that often times temp poles may be overhead yet the main house servivce may be undergroud. Just trying to save you some time from building something you can't use. The power company designates whether an underground temp pole or overhead temp pole.


Also I have the new overhead temp pole on a temporary web site for my last review before posting on our web page. You may look at it if it may help you. This new one has pictures included. Just keep in mind I have not done the final edit on this new article concerning overhead temp articles. Also you need to take a peak at this rough draft of my new overhead temp article. Don't know how long it will be available at this link before it gets deleted. This link is a work product web site only for temporary editing use.


Hope this helps

Old 07-07-02, 07:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Temp service for new home - reply

Thank you for the information ( HandyRon & WGoodrich) .
I should have given you more details as I'am new on the forum

I contacted and visited the site with the power company.

They provided me with a diagram of the pole specks.

It will be overhead temp & future permanent service.

The temp will be 100amps per the power company

I must supply the meter socket . I do not need pcv down
from the weatherhead

I must supply the temp panel

I will have 2 20amp rec. off this panel.

My Question is the wiring diagam(and items to buy ) down from

the weatherhead to the socket, to the panel to the rec,s to the ground rod.

Tia Larry
Old 07-08-02, 12:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Do you have an electrical inspector that has to inspect your temp to approve power connection? If so you need to confirm with him or her to confirm what you need.

A normal list of material should be able ot be collected by looking at the pictures in the web link to an overhead service. Just look at the picture and list what you see.

Old 07-10-02, 08:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I don't need more questions.

Why not a straight answer

The power company is going to bring 100 amps service to
the top of the pole!!!!!!

What size wire do I bring down to the meter socket and

how is it wired. Is there a # for a socket for 100 amp sevice

Tia Larry
Old 07-10-02, 08:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Sorry if you were offended. The question was a diplimatic attempt to have you confirm for yourself if you have an electrical inspector. If you do have an electrical inspector then you WILL NOT GET POWER TO YOUR TEMPORARY SERVICE WITHOUT THAT INSPECTOR'S INSPECTION APPROVAL. That is why I asked the question. The article that I provided a link for you to read gave you the answers you needed.

Although the power company provides 100 amps worth of power to your temporary that does not dictate that you have to install a 100 amp rated temporary power pole. YOu may install anywhere from a 30 amp temporary service pole to a 100 amp rated temporary service pole. The design and size of your temporary is limited only as a maximum of 100 amps served to you by the power company. The choice of service size smaller and up to 100 amps is your choice. The link that was provided to you had a detailed explaination on all sizes available to you and also provided pictures.

Problem is if you don't contact your local electrical inspector you won't know what is required locally concerning that pole. What I provided you is what the NEC calls for as minimum safety standards. We have no way of predicting any local rules. The final say is your electrical inspector in your area. No power is allowed connected to your temporary pole until that inspector issues an inspection approval. My advice is call your local government and find out any local rules. Then read the article link provided in prior replies.

Sorry if I upset you or made you feel that I failed your desire to be helped.

Didn't know what you felt you needed, just knew what you needed to research before you bought material that your electircal inspector will not pass in your area. He or she is the final say on the matter.

Good luck

Old 07-11-02, 06:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
temp service

I did find your link helpful.

I know i need an inspection.

I know i need a lic elc to lookat the


Maybe I could put it another way

If you were in a town where there

were no local code.

and wanted 2 rec with 20amps(gfi)

service what size wire and how

would you wire to the meter socket

then to the temp panel.

Tia Larry
Old 07-11-02, 07:16 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I don't know where I read this (or if this is code).
But I read about using a service feeder that is twice
the size of the breaker, meaning you would use a #8
NMWU cable, or what is called in Canada Teck cable
(plastic coated MC cable).
Check with the authorities to see if that would be suitable.
Old 07-11-02, 09:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
If you're unsure as to what size wire is necessary for the temp set-up, your local utility or AHJ can tell you. You stated you have done a temp pole set-up before, but at the same time you're asking everyone how to wire to the meter socket and beyond. In a previous post, you also make mention of a "what if", in regards to doing the temp in a locality with no codes, which i find hard to believe. I'm not trying to open a can of worms here, but the last time anybody asked me questions such as this, they were looking for a way to tap into an existing service's meter socket to steal power. You also stated previously that you had a diagram from the utility for the set-up. If you did, i'm sure that this diagram would show how it is to be wired.
Old 07-11-02, 03:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I think all he is needing is a basic overhead temp wired meeting the NEC minimums. If this is what you need try the following plus links.

16' 4x4 treated post buried 3' in ground with a 2x4 brace in a "V" pattern with the open "V" toward the utility company pole.

Mount your meter base 5'6" above finished grade.
Install 6 awg SEU copper cable with a black, red, and bare conductor in the cable from the top of the meterbase through an SE weatherproof connector stapled to the side of hte pole up 12' above finished grade.
Install an SE weatherhead at the top of the SEU service entrance cable to seal out water and mount that SE weatherhead to the post ensuring 12' above finished grade.
In the meter base connect the black and red wires to the to outside top lugs inside the meter base. Connect the bare wire to the top center lug of the meter base. Check the following link for a picture example.
Install a 1" offset nipple to the bottom of the meter base into a 1" weatherproof hub of a two circuit service rated panel or disconnect.
Connect a 6 awg black wire to each of the two outside bottom lugs of the meterbase.
Connect an insulated 6 awg with white marker tape to designate as a neutral conductor to the bottom center lug of the meterbase. See the above linked picture for example of the load side connections going to the disconnect.
Inside the service rated weatherproof disconnect connect the two hot 6 awg conductors to the two top lugs of this disconnect.
Connect the neutral conductor again with a white tape to the netural bar of the inside of the disconnect. See the following link for a picture example of the inside of this disconnect with wires connected.
Out of the bottom of the disconnect connect a 1/2" offset nipple to a weatherproof receptacle box then install a second 1/2" offset nipple to the bottom of that firs receptacle box to a second weatehrproof receptacle box. To see a picture example of the above and below instructions try the following link; http://www.homewiringandmore.com/hom...ectinsides.jpg
Connect two 12 awg black wires to each of the two 20 amp fuses in the disconnect. Then connect two white 12 awg wires to the neutral bar of hte disconnect. Then connect two green or bare wires to the neutral bar also. All these conductors pass through the top 1/2" offset nipple into the weatherproof receptacle box. In the top receptacle box pass one black, one white, and one bare or green wire through that first box through that second off set nipple into the second weatherproof receptacle box. To see an example of a weather proof receptacle box and a bubble shield and a GFI receptacle try the following picture links. http://www.homewiringandmore.com/sto...eldcloseup.jpg
You must drive a 1/2" ground rod by the pole and install an 8 awg copper grounding electrode conductor connected to the ground rod by a 1/2" acorn grounding connector then install the grounding electrode conductor up the pole into the main service rated disconnect and connected to the neutral bar.
You receptacles must be GFI protected.To have one last look with an overview of the finished product try the following picture;

Hope this helps

Old 07-11-02, 08:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Wg thanks

Your information after the pole is exactly what I need.

I build a house it seems about ever 5-6 years and

forget some information. I didn't want to bother my electrician

yet for the temp as I wanted to do it first and have him check it.

Before he calls the local inspector. By profession Iam a mech
eng. and enjoy doing some of the building tasks.

What you explanned is probably 95 % the same throughout
the county in any town for this question

I wouldn't waste my time responding to the "expert in Rockford"

Again thanks Larry
Old 07-12-02, 07:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Maybe you shouldn't be fooling around with your temp service, Larry if you have to ask what size wire and how to hook up a meter socket.
Old 07-13-02, 09:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
you do sound kind of fishy though, you really shouldnt get a attitude with the people trying to help you too

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: