How can I ground an outlet???

Old 07-06-02, 03:08 PM
arislewis
Visiting Guest
Unhappy How can I ground an outlet???

I need a grounded outlet for my desktop PC in my new home. Unfortunately all the outlets in my office are just 2 pronged. The wiring is the house is pretty darn old too (1950's).

I managed to take apart an outlet in the office. It looks like there are just 2 wires, and no ground wire. Is there an easy way to remedy this problem so I can ground the outlet and get a new 3 pronged plate??? Thanks!

Old 07-06-02, 06:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First, what type of cable did those "darn old" wires come out of, rubber jacket or metal jacket?
Next, why do you want a 3 prong outlet? Just to conveniently connect 3 prong equipment, or are you concerned for ground reference for the PC equipment. The answer is different depending on your responses.

To somewhat answer your question, if you really want a ground wire, it involves replacing the existing circuit. Sometimes you don't need a ground wire to get the end result you want.

Old 07-06-02, 07:27 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the box that this is mounted in is metal, the fix may be trivial. But you'll need a $15 voltmeter, a $2 neon circuit tester, or a $7 outlet tester to check. Check for voltage between the brass screw on the side of the receptacle and the box. To check with the outlet tester, you'll need to temporarily install a 3-hole receptacle, but if it shows that you have an open ground, you must put the old 2-hole receptacle back.

If the box is plastic or the metal box does not test as grounded, it's usually just as easy to run a new circuit as to try to ground this one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: