Ceiling Fan Wires

Old 07-06-02, 05:08 PM
markazrandall
Visiting Guest
Ceiling Fan Wires

I need some help, as I'm ready to put in a ceiling fan, in a pre-wired ceiling fan outlet.

The outlet contains wiring for a ceiling fan that has the fan and light controlled by different wall switches.

In the outlet, there's a red wire, black wire, white wire, and an non-insulated ground wire.

I understand from the instructions that that the white wire from the fan goes to the white from the outlet, the blue from the fan to the red from the outlet, and the black from the fan go to the black from the outlet.

My question is on the ground wires. The fan mounting bracket has a green wire attached to it with a screw. Where does this wire go to, and do I do anything with the non-insulated ground wire from the outlet?

Thanks,
Mark.

Old 07-06-02, 05:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
All grounds, green or bare should terminate on the green screw on the mounting bracket.

Old 07-08-02, 01:37 PM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking

One addition to Ron's suggestions:
Assure that NONE of the other wires other than green and bare Cu ground wires come in contact with any metal part(fan box, ground wires...etc). Make sure not to strip too much of a wire and make sure all exposed wires are confined securely inside connector caps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: