install dimmer switch

Old 06-08-00, 10:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

i am remodeling my basement and will be installing 2 lights over my fireplace with
a dimmer. i have got it to turn on and off but lights will not dim. i have the power line going into the light, does it need to go to the dimmer switch? .. also do i need a 3 way dimmer since i have 2 lights on the dimmer? (i have only one switch location)
thanks for any help with this.

Old 06-08-00, 03:07 PM
Visiting Guest
CKYLEGO,

I'm not sure how you are turning it off if not by the switch. Power cannot be at the light if you are using a switch.
I'll assume you are not stating it correctly and that you can now turn it on and off with the dimmer switch but cannot dim. The problem is in your dimmer. It is faulty.
You do not need a 3/way. You have a single pole switch, it does not matter how many lights you have on the circuit.

Old 06-08-00, 08:23 PM
Visiting Guest
hello CkyleGo,
if the power comes in to the light then u have to take power to the switch vea a switch loop. im assuming u have run a 2 wire between the switch and light.
what u need to do is connect the white of the wire going to switch to the hot in the light connect the white of power in light to the white of the light, connect the black of switch loopp to the black of light, simply connect the wire going to other light to the same 2 wires u did for the light color to color. now in the switch box connect the white and the black to your dimmer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: