ceiling fan wiring

Old 07-07-02, 11:12 AM
D
drlujano
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan wiring

I have replaced a ceiling fan with a new one. Unfortunately, I was not the one who removed the old one. My question is how to wire the new fan. It has a light kit. I want to wire the fan/light so that the light comes on with the wall switch, and the fan is activated with the pull chain on the fan.

There are four wires coming out of the fan. Black, white, green, and black and white. My problem is, there are six wires coming out of the junction box on the ceiling. One set of black, white, green is hot. Trust me, I know. The other set of black, white, green is not hot. I assume the "not hot" set of wires is from the wall switch.

How do I make these connections?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-02, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i still haven't had the patience to tackle mine, but it sounds similar. here's a link with pics:

http://www.homewiringandmore.com/swi.../fanlight.html

-Kay

Old 07-07-02, 01:19 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The hot cable is the power cable. Call that "P". The other cable is the switch loop. Call that "S". Connect as follows:[list=1][*]Pb to Sw to the fan's black wire. This provides continuous hot to the fan motor, and sends power to the switch.[*]Sb to the fan's black/white wire. This provides switched hot to the light.[*]Pw to the fan's white wire. This provides a neutral connection to both the fan's motor and light.[*]All grounding wires together.[/list=1]