Installing subpanel

Old 06-11-00, 07:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

How do I install a Cutler Hammer sub panel? I have an unused 220v line that was used for electric dryer. I want to change that line to 110v 20amp line.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-00, 03:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi John,

I believe, If I am reading you right, you have two questions and they are not related.
Panel installation. Mount it where you want, either inside the wall or on the surface. Depending on the size for which it is rated and/or the size you want to feed it with you would run the proper size feeders from your main panel to the suppanel. You will either be doing this via plastic sheathed cable 3/w or via a conduit, but you will need four wires of appropriate size.
Now dryer wire conversion:
At the old dryer box, you should have a ground wire, attach to ground terminal on new device. The white wire will be the neutral and you may need to pigtail a smaller #12 to it because it will not fit a 20 or 15 amp device. Same for the black hot lead. The red wire or second hot wire you will simply cap off.
Then at the panel, you need to deal only with two wires, the two hot leads that were on the breaker. cap the red, and put the black under a 20 amp single pole breaker.
If you need more info, especially on the subpanel, write back.

Old 06-12-00, 03:25 PM
Visiting Guest
looks like david handeled this well.