old home/new light


Old 06-12-00, 05:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I bought a new light fixture to replace a chandelier that is currently in place. There was a warning on the box about a risk of fire. It said that we need supply connections with wire rated for at least 90 degrees Celcius, and that most homes built before 1985 have wires rated only at 60 degrees. Our home was built in 1927 so I'd assume we fall into that category. What do we do now? Is there something simple we can do so we can still use this light or do we need to just get a different light?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-00, 05:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Getting a new light fixture won't help -- they all have the same warning attached. You can hire an electrician to replace the wiring of the circuit the new light is on. You replace the same wiring yourself. Or you simply connect the new light to the existing wiring. Guess it depends on how well you want to sleep at night. At the very least, I would have an electrician look at your wiring and get his or her opinion as to it's condition before you proceed.
Old 06-13-00, 03:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

hello tperry,
aaaaaaa the old cover may azz note that is included with every new light. here is what we do with thoes little notes, we just trash them, and hook up the light. that is if the wire is in good condition. since you stated yours was the orgional wire i would consider haveing it replaced. at the verry least i would put heatshrink tube on the wires befor i put the light up, we do this alot. and be sure u mark the nutural with white tape.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: