Replacing Exterior Light with Motion Sensor

Old 06-13-00, 06:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just replaced our old exterior light with a new one that has a motion sensor. I connected black to black, white to white, and the bare ground of the fixture and the bare ground in the box each to the green screw in the box. Unfortunately, I get no light at all. I've made sure the breaker is back on, turned power on at the switch, and checked the bulb. The old light worked fine an hour ago. Could I have screwed up this simple connection? Or did I get a bad fixture at the store? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-00, 07:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Sounds fine, IF you remembered to turn the lite switch on!!

Old 06-14-00, 04:07 AM
Visiting Guest
There are two adjustment screws for the sensor. One adjusts the sensitivity, the other how long the light stays on. One or both could be set so low the light doesn't come on.

Another possibility is that you are testing this in daylight. Some (I can't say all) of these lights have a sensor so they don't come on during the daytime. This can play havoc on the light as refelcted light will fool the light into thinking its daytime. So the light blinks.

Old 06-14-00, 05:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi:heetejd

Assuming you have done everything during the installation correctly <And I do think you have from your discription> set the detector to the TEST mode. This will override the daylight sensor and allow you to run tests on it and set the controls.

You may also test it once it's set back to the NORMAL mode by putting a smal piece of masking tape over the daylight sensor EYE.

Also read the manual that came with the unit for proper setup instructions.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Old 06-14-00, 04:42 PM
Visiting Guest
hello heetejd,
sounds like u installed the light properly. some times these lights need adjustment, follow the manufactores directions on instalation and u shuld find out how to adjust your light. another note is some times these lights also have 3 wires 1 for conventional switched and 1 for photo eye. your directions will tell u jhow to hook up the wires.